ant-user mailing list archives

From Reinhardt Christiansen <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject FTP Problems in 1.7.0
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2008 15:52:00 GMT
NOTE: I never saw this reply in my email client for some reason so I
went into MARC and copied and pasted it in here, then reformatted it so
that it now looks approximately right.

 >> Reinhardt Christiansen wrote:

 >> Can anyone help me with the Ant optional ftp task? I'm finally using
Ant
 >> again for the first time in a couple of years and running into some
 >> problems.

 >> I'm using Ant 1.7.0 and my build is basically working fine, aside from
 >> some issues with the ftp task. My mkdir and send actions are working
 >> fine so I know that this is not an installation issue, such as missing
 >> jars. the usual thing that breaks FTP is a weird directory listing
at the far end.

 > What server/language are you using and what does a listing look like?
(we do warn about this at the top of the task, but maybe the language
 > there could be clearer)

What do you mean when you ask for the server/language? I don't
understand the question. Are you asking for the hostname? The operating
system? And how can I determine the answer? My friend uses a hosting
service for his private files and he's given me a bit of play space for
a project I'm doing; that's where I'm trying to send the files. I
currently use SmartFTP 3.0 to upload/download from the server and it
works fine as an interactive tool. I'm simply trying to write some Ant
scripts to automate some of the more repetitive tasks that I need to do.

I'm not sure what O/S this server is running but I chose "Show Raw
Listing" in SmartFTP and it gave me this for one small directory
containing a single file and a folder:
drwxr-xr-x   3 sfl      pg598770     4096 May 22 06:49 .
drwxr-xr-x   8 sfl      pg598770     4096 Jun  8 07:24 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 sfl      pg598770     6546 May 22 07:49 150.css
drwxr-xr-x   2 sfl      pg598770     4096 May 22 07:37 media

This looks like some form of Unix/Linux but I'm not sure how to tell the
exact O/S if that's what you're asking. Does this answer your question?
If not, please tell me where to get the information to answer it.

 >> Here are my problems:
 >> 1. I keep getting a MalformedPatternException when I try to do an ftp
 >> with action="list". It seems to be objecting to the listing
 >> parameter. I have tried all the variations I can imagine but
 >> nothing works. could be the response from the far end. Try running
at -debug and posting the relevant output as a bug report.
 >> 2. My action="send" operations work fine as long as I omit the
 >> depends="yes" parameter. When I include depends="yes", I get
 >> MalformedPatternException on the line containing the remotedir
 >> parameter.

 > Same game. Its trying to parse the date at the far end and failing.

What date? There's no date in the Ant script.

Or do you mean data?

 >> Also, with respect to the listing parameter of action="list", can
 >> someone please clarify whether the file identified in the listing
 >> parameter is on the server or the remote machine? The documentation is
 >> not clear on this point. I've looked on both machines and can't find
the
 >> file on either one; it would save me a bit of time if I knew I didn't
 >> have to look on one of the two machines.

 > remotedir: base directory from which files are listed
 > fileset: the remote files located under the remotedir matching the
include/exclude patterns of the fileset so, the nested files are the
things to list.

That's not really what I was asking. If the file named in the listing
parameter is called xyz.txt, where will xyz.txt appear: on my local
computer or on the remote computer? And _where_ on that computer will it
appear? The root directory? Or some other directory? If it's not going
to appear in the root, how can I determine where it will appear?

Author: Ant in Action http://antbook.org/

--
Rhino