ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: sourcepath files get implicitly compiled and end up in archive
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2008 19:50:23 GMT
On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Steven Guitar <stguitar@mac.com> wrote:
> So, to keep up with dependancies would you have tasks in project A that
> builds each dependency, or have a list  in a properties file and read from
> that, building each one?

Best way to deal with dependency is to build a project's source using
pre-published pre-compiled artifacts of its dependencies. Dependencies
are expressed explicitly in some descriptor, which is read by some
task to fetch the dependencies from some repository.

That's what Ivy does in conjunction with Ant, or what Maven2 does on its own.

> My goal is to have really generic scripts that can build ears, wars, or jars.

Just keep in mind that there's a cost to trying to do things
generically. Attempt to do that only after you've done a few ad-hoc
builds, once you know the problem domain and the type of variations
from project to project.

You may also want to such this forum from recent discussions on a
generic Ant build to be used in conjunction with Ivy. --DD