ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Advanced includes/excludes for javac
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:04:38 GMT
On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Roman Kennke <roman@kennke.org> wrote:
>> The only way to do this is by resetting srcdir to an empty string.
>> That's the technique <compilewithwalls> and others (including me) have
>> used in the past.
>>
>> That way, Javac will compile *only* the file explicitly given to it,
>> and never implicitly compile files the explicitly given classes depend
>> on (which will lead to compile failures if the depend classes aren't
>> found via the classpath).
>>
>> AFAIK, <javac> will accept several nested <fileset>s, so that's how
>> you include source files from several directories (but remember to
>> scrdir=""). --DD
>
> Yeah, I suppose this would work. But it would have the disadvantage that
> the javac task could not map the sources to the .class files, and would
> recompile everything on each invocation. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it may be... (note the "may" here). I don't have time to
double-check, but I believe <javac> checks against the destdir to find
out is a .java is up-to-date, not the srcdir. (And when I say <javac>,
I mean Ant's wrapper around Sun's Javac compiler, since Javac itself
do not do that).

Thinking about it, it has to be that way, because I used this
technique for a large project that was doing incremental compiles.

> However, I think I found a better solution that works for me. Instead of
> compiling it in one go, I compile it in 2 steps, and in the 1st step I
> set the -sourcepath to the other sources dir, so that javac pulls in the
> required sources from the other project. Then in the second step, I set
> the classpath to the directory into which the 1st step built its
> classes, so that it picks up the correct dependencies again. In both
> steps I can set the necessary includes/excludes.

Whatever works for you ;-) --DD