ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: shared ant installation
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2008 22:41:52 GMT
On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Shawn Castrianni
<Shawn.Castrianni@halliburton.com> wrote:
> After more investigation, I guess it isn't even getting to my import.  I think it is
dying on just trying to invoke ant from a Windows UNC path.  If I just type:

> \\<serverName>\dir1\dir2\dir3\ant\bin\ant
>
> it gives me the same error as before.  Is it possible to run ant from a network share
on windows?

\\server\dir is not a valid URL, and thus Java/Ant has trouble with it
(in the low level URL/URI code). Depending on the JDK sometimes
file:/server/dir is the proper URL, sometimes its file:///server/dir.
(You could also have them map the remote dir to a drive letter, to
work around the UNC path name issue).

But wanting developers to use a non-local Ant sandbox, brrrr, that's a
no-no to me. By this thinking you'd want them to work in a code
sandbox you dynamically update yourself without their knowledge, or
why not have them use a remote JDK install to make sure they are using
the right patch of the JDK (too many times I've seen variation on this
where you work Shawn ;-)

Just trust your developers to update the CVS or SVN maintained sandbox
of your build stuff often, after you've told them. Possibly add
"enforcement", by comparing the version of your stuff embedded into
downloaded dependencies with the local one, and fail on mismatch. Or
have the build check your "master" sandbox's version and fail on
mismatch. Better these strategies than the shared sandbox approach
IMHO. --DD