ant-user mailing list archives

From "David Weintraub" <qazw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AW: antrc & ant.conf files
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 13:03:56 GMT
On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 3:05 AM, David J. B. Hollis
<dhollis@aandoconsultancy.ltd.uk> wrote:
> I've ended up with this in an ant.conf file:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> DITA_HOME=~/DITA-OT1.4.2.1
> DITA_HOME=`cd "$DITA_HOME" && pwd`
>
> #export ANT_HOME="$DITA_HOME"/tools/ant
> export ANT_HOME=/Developer/Java/Ant
> export ANT_OPTS="-Xmx512m"
> export ANT_ARGS="-lib $DITA_HOME/lib -Ddita.dir=$DITA_HOME"
>>
> Are you saying I don't need to export any of these? I can just define them?

The ANT_HOME, DITA_HOME, ANT_OPTS, and ANT_ARGS will be available
throughout the whole /usr/bin/ant shell script where they are used to
start a Java process that executes Ant. If these variables are only
used for starting up Ant, they do not need to be exported.

However, once that Java process starts up, these environment variables
won't be available. So, they will not be available in your Java
process NOR (more importantly) in your build.xml file. That also means
any environment variables that you're depending upon for your <java>
or <javac> tasks will only be available if exported.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com