ant-user mailing list archives

From Adrian Muscalu <amusc...@hotmail.com>
Subject Possible Bug? Ant task <jar> does not handle files with over 255 chars in the path name
Date Fri, 23 May 2008 14:08:18 GMT

Hello,

I am running an ANT script on my Win XP machine; one of the tasks attempts to create a jar
file where the class files are in a directory with a long name. The combined path, package
name and file name exceedes 255 characters.

Expected result:
The script should fail as the files exceed the Windows XP file system limitation.

Actual result:
The build finishes with a successfull state although the files that have the long name in
the soturce directory have not been included into the jar.

I was hoping for ANT to report on the problem and stop the build; Ant managed to create the
long named files just fine, but any subsequent operation on them (copy, jar) fails without
notification. Any attempt to work with the files on the Windows DOS prompt (copy command)
ends with a pertinent message saying that the file name is too long and the operation fails.

Is this a bug? I don't expect ANT to fix the XP limitation, just to report on it somehow.

Thank you,
Adrian
http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx