ant-user mailing list archives

From "David J. B. Hollis" <dhol...@AandOConsultancy.ltd.uk>
Subject Re: AW: antrc & ant.conf files
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 18:06:00 GMT
Hi, David

Ironically, the one which ISN'T exported, DITA_HOME, IS used in the
Ant builds. But it's passed as parameter dita.dir. Obviously anything
on ANT_ARGS is passed, so ought not need exporting as well. I don't
think the others are, but I know the builds pick up the environment.

The DITA toolkit actually uses Ant to build documentation in various
formats: html, help formats and PDF. So there's no software compiling
at all. (This might also explain why I'm asking basic questions! ;-)  )

Whilst pondering this, it begged the question about whether ANT_HOME
ought to be in .antrc or ant.conf, or not. If you've modified the
system path in some way, or used symlinks on *nix, so that Ant can be
called from anywhere, then it's probably a good idea to define
ANT_HOME in one or other of these files.

However, if you're running a batch script which sets the path at run
time, then that might set up ANT_HOME as part of the process of
setting up the Ant environment before calling Ant. In which case, it
would be superfluous!

Many thanks,
David