ant-user mailing list archives

From Carlos Alonso <calo...@unkasoft.com>
Subject Re: Defining ant target to run junit tests using dbunit
Date Fri, 23 May 2008 07:36:29 GMT
Well, those errors that you're getting about test classes that cannot be
found are because the specified <fileset> tag under the <batchtests> is
not pointing to where the tests are. This path problems are very common
when running ant tasks because is not trivial to understand the way in
which ant resolves the given paths. Let me give you two or three tips
before you give up.

If you use eclipse environment to write your ant tasks, you can place
the mouse's cursor over a path variable and in a few seconds, a text box
will appear showing you to where the variable is actually pointing,
otherwise, if no text box appears is because the variable hasn't been
declared. With this feature, and executing the ant files from the
eclipse you can be sure that the variables are pointing to where you've
previously seen.

Be extremely careful with paths declaration, and keep always in mind
from which directory the ant file is being executed/invoked and to where
the project basedir property is pointing.

And finally, this issues are frustrating at first, but when you have
done it a few times, it becomes much easier.

Regards.
Carlos

tmni escribió:
> [...]
> information of other classes in the same package.
>
> I think I'm going to have to give up on using this, I'm wasting too much
> time trying to
> get this to work....
>

> Carlos Alonso-2 wrote:
>
>> Well, let's go step by step over the classpath definitions that you can
>> find in the example I attached a few mails ago.
>> The first classpath definition is required to tell the <sql> task where
>> to find the implementation of the mysql driver (as far as I know, you
>> did that successfully because the oracle error disappeared).
>> The second classpath definition is required to define the JUnit task
>> (<taskdef> ant task), and also seems to be alright.
>> Finally, the third classpath definition is required to tell the JUnit
>> task, where will find the required classes to execute the tests. This is
>> the classpath definition that you possibly made wrong. You can find this
>> classpath definition just below the line that reads <junit
>> haltonfailure...>.
>> Check whether you have these lines or not. Maybe, if you have these
>> lines written properly and it's still failing, could be because you
>> failed listing the all the classes that your tests require to be executed.
>>
>> To include a whole folder or part of it to your classpath, you can use
>> as much <fileset> tags as you want (to reference a set of libraries that
>> are in the same folder) or <pathelement> tags to specify single
>> libraries. I advise you to place all the required jars into one single
>> folder and reference all of them at once by using the <fileset> tag.
>>
>> <property name="lib" value="path/to/directory/containing/jars" />
>>
>> <fileset dir="${lib}">
>> 	<include name="*.jar"/>
>> </fileset>
>>
>> As you can see in the source code from above, I point the fileset element
>> to the folder where all the required jars are enclosed and then , I
>> include only those files that match the specified pattern (*.jar) to the
>> classpath.
>>
>> Tip: If your .jar files where distributed into several folders hanging
>> from a common root (As you can see below), use the following expression
>> <include name="**/*.jar" /> to tell ant that the required files could be
>> found anywhere contained below that point.
>>
>> lib (root)
>>  |-> sub-lib1
>>  |      |
>>  |      |-> file1.jar
>>  |      |
>>  |      |-> file2.jar
>>  |-> sub-lib2
>>         |-> file3.jar
>>

>> Regards.
>> Carlos
>>
>> tmni escribió:
>>
>>> I thought I had included the junit.jar in the classpath, but maybe it's
>>> defined improperly.
>>> I didn't see it in your sample, where do you define that part of the
>>> classpath?  I think I'm
>>> getting confused about the different places the classpaths are defined,

Junit