ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Setting path to MSVC compiler with cctask
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 13:53:01 GMT
On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 3:51 AM, Paul Richards <paul.richards@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm afraid I was only evaluating ant+cpptask (as well as other tools)
> in order to find the best tool for my project.  Unfortunately
> ant+cpptask didn't win, and so I didn't spend any more time on it.

Care to share a bit more info?

Choice of tools is indeed very dependent on the project. For me at one
point, since I was building lots of Java projects with Ant, it was
natural to invest time into CppTasks to build the associated JNI
native libs, rather than use another build tool (and then I used it
for large C++ projects too, since I had it going). But I agree that
CppTasks is (a) hard to get started with, and (b) doesn't allow you to
easily control the path to find an executable, (c) doesn't have a
community nor much dev activity.

But a great advantage of CppTasks is that it provides you with very
reliable *incremental* builds, because it does automatic dependency
management, tracks build options, etc... In my experience, this is
*very* useful (especially for large projects), and *quite rare* in
build tools. That's why I think Ant+CppTasks has more "depth" than
many other build tools ;-) What can I say, I was a fan of it! :)))

--DD