ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dave Pawson" <dave.paw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Any tool for ant build.xml file documentation
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:58:22 GMT

> > Kind of against the idea of namespace aware apps?
> > If you don't have a use for namespace X, ignore it.
> >

>  well, it depends on what you want from a namespaced app. And more
> importantly, what you mean by "understand". I have been in way too many
> discussions on the exact semantics of soap's "mustUnderstand" attribute on
> soap headers to believe that there is any single right answer here.

I'd ignore soap (and others in the ws* stack) for ns usage.
XSLT makes a cleaner example, as does relax NG.

>  For ant, how do we distinguish between "task in wrong namespace" from
> "undefined task in a namespace" from "namespace we are meant to ignore".
> Without an explicit <ignorenamespace> operation, we can't.

Ant tasks take the default (null) namespace, as the precursor,
or put ant into its own namespace.

An added benefit would be other tasks, in other namespaces,
as possible experimental extensions.

>  Well,
>  1. they are free to embed bits of ant in their XML and push it out later
>  2. If you want to write an <ignorenamespace> task, with tests, we could
> always add it.

Not a facet of XML to my knowledge. Ant uses XML
(quite well from what I've used!)

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.