ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Any tool for ant build.xml file documentation
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 10:40:18 GMT
Dave Pawson wrote:
> On 23/04/2008, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>  Ant is namespace aware, it merely chooses not to ignore content in other
>> namespaces, as it assumes they are tasks declared into a different
>> namespace.
>
> Kind of against the idea of namespace aware apps?
> If you don't have a use for namespace X, ignore it.

well, it depends on what you want from a namespaced app. And more
importantly, what you mean by "understand". I have been in way too many
discussions on the exact semantics of soap's "mustUnderstand" attribute
on soap headers to believe that there is any single right answer here.

For ant, how do we distinguish between "task in wrong namespace" from
"undefined task in a namespace" from "namespace we are meant to ignore".
Without an explicit <ignorenamespace> operation, we can't.

>>  Consider this, then, my gift to you:
>>
>>  <presetdef name="description" uri="http://www.dpawson.co.uk#ns" >
>>         <echo level="debug" />
>>  </presetdef>
>>
>>  you now get a description
>>  <d:description>Main variable set</d:description>
>>
>>  which gets printed when you run
>>  ant -debug
>
> Nice. For debug. Thanks.
>
> Not for other namespaced applications working on ant build files.

Well,
1. they are free to embed bits of ant in their XML and push it out later
2. If you want to write an <ignorenamespace> task, with tests, we could
always add it.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/