ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: arg and jvmarg
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:27:47 GMT
Dave Pawson wrote:
> On 11/04/2008, Rick Genter <rgenter@silverlink.com> wrote:
>
>>  > I seem to have found just the opposite?
>>  > line="-o filename" works fine, but as was pointed out,
>>  > if I want to use value I have to use two arg elements?
>>

>> Your example has 2 arguments: '-o' and 'filename'. I recommend reading
>>  the documentation for the command line processor you are using for how
>>  it processes command lines and what the definition of an 'argument' is.
>
> Saxon XSLT processor.
> -o filename is the parameter. I'd always thought of it as one param.
> Name (-o)
> value (filename)
> Ant seems to view it differently.

Its two separate parameters when you break up the command line by
spaces, which is what C main(char **argv)  does by the time every native
program gets a look in. And The Java Runtime exec() call takes the same
list of arguments, which is what ant sets up

When you go <arg line> ant splits up the line by spaces, and gets it
wrong when there are spaces in filenames -just as the shell would. When
you build it up using <arg value>, spaces in filenames get handled
correctly.

If you build on on unix, you may not notice these problems, but other
developers may hit the problem. Its safest, therefore, to use arg value,
except in the special case that you want people who override your build
file to include a whole list of custom arguments (like custom JVM
properties/options).

-steve

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/