ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: ECCN/Export Apache Ant
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:52:36 GMT
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Tyler Ward <> wrote:

> I need some help regarding the ECCN for Apache Ant 1.6.5.  The
> Apache site at lists the
> ECCN for Ant as 5D002 TSU.
> Is Ant classified as 5D002 because it is "designed for use" with
> other 3rd party encryption libraries even though Ant does not itself
> contain encryption components?

Yes.  The README file (post Ant 1.6.5) reads now:

|   This distribution includes cryptographic software.  The country in
|   which you currently reside may have restrictions on the import,
|   possession, use, and/or re-export to another country, of
|   encryption software.  BEFORE using any encryption software, please
|   check your country's laws, regulations and policies concerning the
|   import, possession, or use, and re-export of encryption software, to
|   see if this is permitted.  See <> for more
|   information.
|   The U.S. Government Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and
|   Security (BIS), has classified this software as Export Commodity
|   Control Number (ECCN) 5D002.C.1, which includes information security
|   software using or performing cryptographic functions with asymmetric
|   algorithms.  The form and manner of this Apache Software Foundation
|   distribution makes it eligible for export under the License Exception
|   ENC Technology Software Unrestricted (TSU) exception (see the BIS
|   Export Administration Regulations, Section 740.13) for both object
|   code and source code.
|   The following provides more details on the included cryptographic
|   software:
|   For the SSH family of tasks (<sshexec> and <scp>) Ant requires the
|   JSch <> library as well as the
|   Java Cryptography extensions
|   <>.  Ant does not
|   include these libraries itself, but is designed to use them.

So if you remove the code that interfaces with JSch (which should all
be in ant-jsch.jar in the binary distribution, there is nothing left
that was designed for use with cryptographic libraries.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message