ant-user mailing list archives

From "Bizard Nicolas (KIRO 433)" <nicolas.biz...@credit-suisse.com>
Subject RE: what this mean : xml document structures must start and end within the same entity
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:51:20 GMT
Hi Ma'moun,
check your <project ...> tags at the beginning of the file, and probably
the ant manual would also help...

Nicolas

-----Original Message-----
From: Ma'moun Abu Hellu [mailto:mamounbest@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 10:45 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: what this mean : xml document structures must start and end
within the same entity

hi,
  actually I'm using Apache-ant 1.7.0  under Windows vista and i simply
want to run the tutorial example  Writing Tasks  which is

  public class HelloWorld {
    public void execute() {
        System.out.println("Hello World");
    }
}
  -----------

  <project name="MyTask" basedir="." default="use">
  <project name="MyTask" basedir="." default="jar">
  <property name="src.dir" value="src"/>
  <property name="classes.dir" value="classes"/>
  <target name="clean" description="Delete all generated files">
  <delete dir="${classes.dir}" failonerror="false"/>
  <delete file="${ant.project.name}.jar"/>
  </target>
  <target name="compile" description="Compiles the Task">
  <mkdir dir="${classes.dir}"/>
  <javac srcdir="${src.dir}" destdir="${classes.dir}"/>
  </target>
  <target name="jar" description="JARs the Task" depends="compile">
  <jar destfile="${ant.project.name}.jar" basedir="${classes.dir}"/>
  </target>

  <target name="use" description="Use the Task" depends="jar">
  <taskdef name="helloworld" classname="HelloWorld"
classpath="${ant.project.name}.jar"/>
  <helloworld/>
  </target>

  </project>

  and i got the error :  xml document structures must start and end
within the same entity

  i tried to change the tages but i cant solve it , so did the above
build.xml correct
  i can see their is  two < project .....> but when i delete the second
one i cant compile it

  thanks in advance
David Brown <david@davidwbrown.name> wrote:
  Hello, running Ant means ant parses and executes a so-called
build.xml. XML documents in general must be what is termed as:
well-formed. This means that all XML documents have a singleton parent
entity element. This means that if a generic XML document had a parent
entity element structured as:

then to keep faith with the well-formed document rule the corresponding
end element would have to come at the end of the target XML document:

The following links are much more authoritative and comprehensive than
the above squibble:

http://www.spoono.com/xml/tutorials/tutorial.php?id=2

http://www.w3.org/XML/

http://ant.apache.org/manual/index.html

Ultimately, you have something amiss with your build.xml that Ant is
trying to parse. To get help from one of the Ant gurus you will have to
create a much more meaningful message with more information:

OS: Debian or Windows or something
Ant version: 1.5.x or 1.7 or something
Ant environment such as: ant -debug output captured from the console.
Default Ant target being execute from build.xml.

HTH.

Ma'moun Abu Hellu wrote ..
> Hi all ,
> I'm still fresh with Ant i tried to run the example in the Writing
Tasks Tutorials