ant-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NPE in Ant 1.7.0
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:19:04 GMT
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Peter Reilly <peter.kitt.reilly@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Xavier Hanin <xavier.hanin@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Peter Reilly <
> peter.kitt.reilly@gmail.com>
> >  wrote:
> >

> >  > On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Buck, Robert <rbuck@verisign.com>

> >  > >  love to see this fixed in 1.7.1.
> >  >
> >  > This may be problematic, as we are in a release cycle at the moment.
> >  > It will be up the the release manager to accept any fix that may be
> >  > found.
> >

> >  What do you mean by "we are in a release cycle"? Obviously this won't
> go
> >  into 1.7.1beta2 which is already out, but wouldn't it be possible to
> include
> >  it in 1.7.1 final? Should 1.7.1beta2 be considered as a release
> candidate
> >  for 1.7.1 which is almost frozen? As I said in the comment on the
> issue,
> >  this bug is really annoying for Ivy users: we use id of the settings
> task to
> >  isolate settings, therefore I suspect many Ivy users will run into such
> >  trouble. So I'd really like to get this fixed in 1.7.1.
>
> It is up to kev.

OK, now that I look back in the mail history I notice we agreed he is the
release manager for 1.7.1, not 1.7.1 beta or something. In Ivy, we consider
each alpha / beta as a release, and as such we agree on a release manager
for each. Hence I was confused and thought kev was release manager for
1.7.1beta2 only. But I think I now understand the process.

> There are always last minute bugs fixes etc..

Do you mean that 1.7.1 final is supposed to be the same as 1.7.1beta2,
except for last minute bug fix? Why not name it a release candidate then? I
find the name beta confusing if feedback from users and fixes can't be
included easily. Do I have a strange understanding of what a beta is?

> We really need an ant 1.7.1 - it fixes things like generating corrupted
> bzip files.

 I understand.

> I have a fix for this, an am running the current (broken) ant tests
> against it.

Excellent! You're so fast!

Xavier