ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <>
Subject Re: Check process on remote host - Can Ant do that ?
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:26:54 GMT
Z W wrote:
> Oliver
> I thought about that but it wouldn't solve the problem because I don't know
> when exactly the process dies

What you're  effectively trying to do here is monitor remote processes;
you've jump from build time to run time/management problems.

More subtly, its not enough to check that the process is present, you
need to be sure it is *alive*. If you can monitor the external side
effect of a process (http get, telnet to a port, make a JDBC call) then
you can see if a system is actually alive as far as an outside caller is
concerned. This is the best thing you can do.

Now, I work full time on deploying and managing very large/complex/high
availability systems; the core runtime we use is freely (i.e. LPGL)
available at / SmartFrog is not a build tool, its
there to configure and coordinate big systems.

I think it sounds like your project is reaching the stage where it needs
this kind of tool...

Steve Loughran
Author: Ant in Action

To unsubscribe, e-mail: