ant-user mailing list archives

From "David Brown" <da...@davidwbrown.name>
Subject Re: Check process on remote host - Can Ant do that ?
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:04:24 GMT
Hello Steve, I am subscribed to various MLs such as Ant and Tomcat because I seem to find something
that grabs my interest almost daily. And, the smartfrog link below is no exception. I went
directly to smartfrog and I have been reading avidly for several hours. And, I agree with
the rhetoric so far that smartfrog is not arcane but is overwhelming to the new user because
of all the features (reminds me of JMeter). My current gig is a Tomcat/JBoss assessment for
a company that is in dire need of performance tuning and some type of vertical of horizontal
scaling such that their current web app and web service installations can scale up to 25k
users. I am currently using JMeter for remote distributed testing but what I need more are
multiple instances of their servlet containers (Tomcat & JBoss). JBoss lends it self to
multiple instances very handily but their current Tomcat 5.5 by what I have seen on the Tomcat
ML can be problematic to configure and difficult to maintain as a s
 table multiple instance server. My question is (before I spend a gazillion hours working-out
the smartfrog examples) can smartfrog help toward creating a computing grid using disparate
machines and disparate systems of disparate JDKs/JREs and disparate Tomcat versions? What
are the advantages of smartfrog over just using JMeter and load-balancing? I read the PDF
whitepaper: Globus Toolkit and smartfrog but that reading did not lead to anymore confidence.
What happened to the day when I had time to read the Loughran/Hatcher Ant book and then go-to-work?
Please advise, David.

Steve Loughran wrote ..