ant-user mailing list archives

From "Toomey, Kevin H (ATS, IT)" <Kevin.Too...@thehartford.com>
Subject Redirecting <javac> compile errors
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:34:11 GMT
Hi,

I'm using a Java class to execute an Ant project, and am unable to direct compile errors to
the log file used by my BuildLogger.

Here's an abbreviated version of my code:

Project p = new Project();
p.init();
p.setUserProperty("ant.file", "common.xml") //more on this later
DefaultLogger logger = new DefaultLogger();
p.addBuildListener(logger);
PrintStream ps = new PrintStream(new FileOutputStream("task.log"));
logger.setOutputPrintStream(ps);
logger.setErrorPrintStream(ps);
p.executeTarget("myTarget");

As for the common.xml file above, it does some build pre-processing tasks including getting
the files I want to build from the source repository. Among those files is the "build.xml"
file that contains the <javac> task.

common.xml triggers "build.xml" using an <ant targetFile="build.xml"....../>

All works well when I run my Java class from a command prompt, unless there is a compile error
during the <javac> task. While my Java class gets notified of the error via a BuildException,
the compiler error messages get dumped to my command line window (Windows) instead of "task.log".

I understand that the Sun Javac class (I'm using the modern compiler in Ant 1.7) defaults
to System.err, but is there any way I can force it to my output file?

Thanks,
Kevin

destroy all copies.