ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting Ant to print the arguments of System.out.print() calls
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2008 14:37:13 GMT
On Jan 8, 2008 5:54 AM, John Hendrie <john.hendrie@gmail.com> wrote:
> public class Main {
>         System.out.print("Hello"); [...]
>     }
>
> Ant doesn't output "Hello", I have to exit the Java app for it to appear.
> Any ideas on how I can solve this?

In Ant, the default System.out stream is replaced by an Ant-controlled
stream to be able to capture output from all code run within Ant, and
prefix the task name for example. Conor as a good write up on this
somewhere, but basically Ant's logging system buffers all output by
line, and since you use print instead of println, there's no carriage
return that would flush Ant's buffer. The flush on System.out in your
code has no effect. You can test this by issuing a println instead.

I don't think there's a way around this without some tricky coding,
although it could also be that no one thought this was worth the dev
effort and possible struggle to get it accepted to "un-line-buffer"
the logging sub-system... --DD