ant-user mailing list archives

From Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malo...@knipp.de>
Subject Re: AW: extended parallelism
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:10:04 GMT
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
>> Thinking a little bit more about the issue, I was wondering
>> whether it would be
>> a good idea to integrate the target-level parallelism (as
>> discussed here) and
>> the task-level parallelism (i.e.
>>  task) into one beast, as such issues
>> like output handling and maximum number of threads executed
>> in parallel could
>> benefit from it.
>

> On target level you already have dependencies.
> On task level you have not.
>
> Basically a task depends on all previous noted tasks.
>
> You can parallelize them with <parallel>
>

> Jan

Hi,

sure. But if you would use <parallel> and parallel execution of targets at the
same time, you could end up in many more executing threads than the system can
efficiently cope with (memory, CPU, I/O wise). One could try to break the target
parallelism down to the task parallelism on the implementation level and handle
everything there, i.e. at the end, there are only tasks with certain
dependencies that shall be executed in parallel. But I know nearly no details
about ant's implementation and don't want to take my users' hat off my head at
the moment.

Klaus