ant-user mailing list archives

From Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malo...@knipp.de>
Subject Re: AW: extended parallelism
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:08:31 GMT
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
>> Isn't this the default behaviour anyway?
>
> No - there is no multithreading by default.
> That's why I write the ParallelExecutor.
>

>> <target name="a" depends="b,c,d"/>
>> If such a dependency did exist, it should be incorporated in
>> the depends attribute of the 'b' & 'c' target declarations.
>
> Thats the meaning - unordered list.
>

>> Assuming in the example above that targets b, c & d have no
>> dependencies of their own, they should be eligable for
>> parallel execution automatically without any need for
>> additions to the syntax.
>
> Thats the ParallelExecutor implementation ;)

Hmm, interesting view. I was under the impression that there is an implicit
order of the targets listed in the "depends" attribute. Two sentences in [1]
suggest the same:

      [...]

      Ant tries to execute the targets in the depends attribute
      in the order they appear (from left to right)

      [...]

      It is a good practice to place your tstamp tasks in
      a so-called initialization target, on which all other
      targets depend. Make sure that target is always the
      first one in the depends list of the other targets.
      ^^^^^^^^^
      In this manual, most initialization targets have
      the name "init".

      [...]

[1] http://ant.apache.org/manual/using.html#targets

Klaus