ant-user mailing list archives

From Klaus Malorny <>
Subject Re: AW: extended parallelism
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:08:31 GMT wrote:
>> Isn't this the default behaviour anyway?
> No - there is no multithreading by default.
> That's why I write the ParallelExecutor.
>> <target name="a" depends="b,c,d"/>
>> If such a dependency did exist, it should be incorporated in
>> the depends attribute of the 'b' & 'c' target declarations.
> Thats the meaning - unordered list.
>> Assuming in the example above that targets b, c & d have no
>> dependencies of their own, they should be eligable for
>> parallel execution automatically without any need for
>> additions to the syntax.
> Thats the ParallelExecutor implementation ;)

Hmm, interesting view. I was under the impression that there is an implicit
order of the targets listed in the "depends" attribute. Two sentences in [1]
suggest the same:

      Ant tries to execute the targets in the depends attribute
      in the order they appear (from left to right)

      It is a good practice to place your tstamp tasks in
      a so-called initialization target, on which all other
      targets depend. Make sure that target is always the
      first one in the depends list of the other targets.
      In this manual, most initialization targets have
      the name "init".

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message