ant-user mailing list archives

From "Scot P. Floess" <>
Subject Re: Setting final strings at compile time
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:56:48 GMT

You mention "final Java Strings at compile time"...

Are you referring to actual Java as in:
    public static final String FOO = "some text";

If so, you may want to look into the <replace> task...

You could do something as simple as:

public class Main
    public static final String FOO = "%PROJECT NAME%";

<replace file = ""  token = "%PROJECT NAME%"  value = "Some

Of course, you probably want to copy off to a new dir and do
the replacement there - compiling that copied version of course...

Frederich, Eric P21322 wrote:
> Hello,
> Is there an easy way to set final Java Strings at compile time?
> I know you can set properties at runtime with -Dproperty=value but could
> I do this at compile time?
> What I want to do is have one target which makes a program called "Java
> Program XYZ - production" and another which is called "Java Program XYZ
> - development".
> Also, it would be useful to somehow get the date and time at which it
> was compiled into the program.
> I figured this would be common, hopefully it is.  Perhaps I just don't
> know the right words to search on Google.
> Thanks in advance,
> ~Eric
> For additional commands, e-mail:

Scot P. Floess