ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Frequent java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space error
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:45:13 GMT
Ravi Roy wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am running my product build with cruisecontrol using ant 1.7.0. I have set
> ANT_OPTS=-Xms=1536m -Xmx1536m, but still I am getting below mentioned error,
> I have searched mail archive, but I see ANT_OPTS settings, which I have
> already set, I get the following error :
>
>     [javac] The system is out of resources.
>     [javac] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
>
> Am I doing right to set ANT_OPTS variable to increase the heap size ? I am
> running my build machine using Windows XP with 2.0 Gigabyte of physical RAM.
>
> Does somebody know how to handle this ? It is more frequent now.

1. run jconsole against the running java processes to identify the
memory hogs
2. it may be that its cruise control running ant in process that is
consuming the memory, and that different env variables need setting
3. fork junit, javac and other process (separate JVM that gets cleaned up)
4. Are you using Ivy or other third-party ant tasks?

I'd be pretty surprised that you are running out at 1.5GB; that will
result in a footprint over the 2GB mark

-steve

PS: (top proceses on my machine right now:

vm        physical  shared
2319m 1.1g  15m S   94 18.9 248:35.14 java
2051m 475m  19m S   30  7.9  71:55.36 java
769m 569m 553m S   22  9.5  40:26.57 vmware-v

IDEA at the top, then netbeans, finally XP in a VMware image.

I'm playing with Netbeans as IDEA is getting too sluggish.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/