ant-user mailing list archives

From "david" <da...@davidwbrown.name>
Subject Re: Problems understanding classpath and package
Date Sat, 29 Dec 2007 19:36:26 GMT
Hello Andrew, try ant -p to get a look at the Ant default environment. Packaging is part of
Java and not peculiar to Ant. A good tool to use when packaging and jars are a mystery is
Jarscan found at:

http://www.inetfeedback.com/jarscan/index.jsp

Insert the following Ant target snippet into your build.xml file and run: ant -p to make sure
the newly inserted target is available. If you are successful at this point then run:

ant showclasspath

<!-- SNIPPET ANT TARGET TO BE INSERTED INTO BUILD.XML -->
<target name="showclasspath">
	<echo message="environment classpath: ${env.CLASSPATH}"/>
</target>
<!-- END SNIPPET -->

The returned results should show the default classpath according to your machines environment.

The above assumes some type of command line: Windows cmd, Linus bash terminal, Solaris korn
shell, Mac command-line OS X terminal.

You should also be able to perform the above using your favorite IDE: Eclipse, IDEA, Netbeans,
etc.

In the future to get better responses from the Ant community please initiate your email with
more information such as:

Ant version: 1.7.x
OS: Debian 3.1 (or Windows XP SP2 or similar)
JDK: 1.6.x
Source: snippets only (build.xml, etc.)
Logs: Ant logs, system logs, application logs (error messages, exceptions etc.)
Environment: system variable values, ant properties (ex: classpath) etc.

If you are fairly new to Ant then in all-likelihood you are fairly new to Java. Some good
resources follow:

http://courses.coreservlets.com/Course-Materials/java5.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html
http://www.codase.com/