ant-user mailing list archives

From Prashant Reddy <prash...@pramati.com>
Subject RE: AW: extended parallelism
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2007 12:56:50 GMT
On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 13:45 +0100, Gilles Scokart wrote:

> > As I mentioned earlier the only road-block at the moment to a totally transparent
mechanism for
> > supporting parallel execution is the dubious implicit dependencies that the documentation
for the
> > "depends" attribute makes reference to. (and the great many build scripts in the
wild that rely
> > upon it :( )
> >

> Indeed, here is an example of such target I found in one of my script :

+1. Count me as another 'wild' one. :)

Another very common usage that i have seen & used many times is the
following :

<target name="cleancompile" depends="remove.classes,compile"/>

Where as 'compile' target does not declare dependency on remove.classes.
However cleancompile assumes that the  dependent targets are executed
sequentially.

I am interested to know why is it desirable to have the parallel
executor work on unmodified build XML files.

-Prashant

> <target name="dev-deploy" depends="clean-cache , package , set-dev-env , target ,
deploy" description="full targeted