ant-user mailing list archives

From "Robin Chaddock" <robin.chadd...@iplay.com>
Subject Re: extended parallelism
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2007 10:17:32 GMT
Isn't this the default behaviour anyway?

<target name="a" depends="b,c,d"/>

Should not be interpretted as " 'a' depends on 'b' then 'c' then 'd' ", as that would imply
that 'b' depended up 'c', which in turn depended upon 'd'.
If such a dependency did exist, it should be incorporated in the depends attribute of the
'b' & 'c' target declarations.

Assuming in the example above that targets b, c & d have no dependencies of their own,
they should be eligable for parallel execution automatically without any need for additions
to the syntax.

Fundamentally "depends" should be treated as an unordered set, not an ordered list to do otherwise
is making an unsound assumption upon the underlying Ant implementation.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Klaus Malorny
  To: Ant Users List
  Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 9:09 AM
  Subject: extended parallelism

  Hi,

  with the increased availability of multi-core systems, I am wondering whether
  there are ways to improve the capabilities of Ant to parallelize the build
  process. While it is possible to execute tasks in parallel within a target, it
  seems to not be simple to execute multiple targets in parallel. My vision is
  an extension to the "depends" attribute: if a pipe is used instead of a comma,
  the target does not care about the order and the targets may be executed in
  parallel by Ant. I would also add parenthesis to group things. For example, "(a
  | (b, c)), d)" means, c must be executed after b, but both may be executed in
  parallel to a, while d must be executed only after completion of a, b and c. Of
  course, more constraints may occur in the dependent targets, e.g. if c depends
  on a, they can't be executed in parallel. Just an idea, feel free to ignore it ;-)

  Klaus