ant-user mailing list archives

From "Jo Support" <jo.supp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: target progress bar
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 20:25:05 GMT
On Nov 7, 2007 11:26 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
> Jo Support wrote:
> > Thank you very much for all the suggestions (Hudson and Ant Explorer),
> > but both don't fit with my need. I only need to substitute standard
> > output with a progress bar, without installing any graphical product
> > but a task def for ant.
> >
> > I've tried to develop a progress bar by myself, but I have some
> > concurrency trouble on the standard output with ant: it seems that
> > actually ant locks up the console output, so I can't print the
> > progress until the end of the target (quite unuseful...).
>
> more accurately, ant grabs the existing console and buffers every line
> of output by individual threads, then prints them on line endings. This
> lets different programs running under <parallel> present input that
> appears line-by-line with the specific program name prefixed. Many
> people find this useful.
>

> > I hoped there where third party libs to use, but if there aren't, I'll
> > move on the developer mailing list in order to solve my self-made
> > progress bar problems.
>
> You can, but I dont know how much more help we can provide there. You
> will get more advice on how to implement one though. One problem with a
> progress bar is estimating time remaining; a build does not know how
> much work is left or how long it will take, so its hard to present.

thanks for the reply steve. for the problem about the time remaining,
i'm going to try to understand the mechanism of the <splash/> core
task, that has a progress bar that indicates the progress of each
single target. maybe it could be not so accurate, but the main need
for me is to give the user the sensation the process is not locked up.
however i can't use <splash/> task because probably users will have to
lunch build processes on a remote machine, so I can't figure how a
swing splash screen could work on a remote machine.