ant-user mailing list archives

From "Major shao" <majors...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AW: Tool for documenting Ant scripts
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2007 19:38:03 GMT
Fyi, i am looking for this kind of tool also.
Tried the AntScriptVisualizer, correct me if i am wrong, it does not
support outside property file?

Thanks

On Nov 26, 2007 3:26 AM, Hans Schwaebli <hans_schwaebli@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, thanks.
>
>   I was looking more for a tool which documents the relationships of script files and
not the sequences of targets within one script. I mean something similiar to a class diagram
instead of an sequence diagram for Ant scripts.

> Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
>   My first few cents:
> - seems to be good
>
> - doesnt handle
> http://www.nurflugel.com/webstart/AntScriptVisualizer/help/html/html/what_exactly_is_ant_script_vis.html
>
> - good idea of handling multiple buildfiles
>
> - can it deal with dynamic imports?
>

> - dealing with dynamic macros?

> - Some words why no updates are needed: WebStart will check on each start.
> http://www.nurflugel.com/webstart/AntScriptVisualizer/help/html/html/updates.html
>
> - When reading the infos on the homepage, I havent found any license
>

> Ok ... next step. I try starting that
> http://www.nurflugel.com/webstart/AntScriptVisualizer/antscriptVisualizer.jnlp
>

> - Warning of not signed application
> - Good: whats new information
> -- i am missing a window title
> -- reverse order would be better (newest on top)
> -- close botton should be outside the textarea so you dont have to scroll for clicking
> - Options dialog is missing a title
> -- PDF on OsX only?
>
> - I try check.xml from Ant's codebase.
> - Default settings: include imported, group nodes, concentrate lines, delete .dot, show
macros, show
> taskdefs, show ant+antcall, show targets, png,
>
> - Result: just a note on the buttom: "Operations completed. Check your directory for
graphic files."
> What is my directory? I'll have a look at check.xml's directory. Ok - a "hidden" file
(as *.dot are
> associated with MSWord templates ;) - check.dot. But no PNG.
>
> - "Find Dot" Button. Another frame without title. The path shown is too long for the
small text field.
> The text field could have the width of the frame. Cancel.
>
> - Error message: Cant run without Graphiz ...
> Ok. When do you try to run this application? Why the ScriptDependency Visualizer quits
after that message?

> Restart ...
>
> - "Help" seems to print parts of the homepage as JavaDoc. Just "Help" as title is not
good IMO. You should always include
> the application name.
>

> Ok, I had "problems" with DOT before. I'll retry the application for further information,
because there is no "requirements" section in the help.

> Another time: "Operations completed" but only the .dot was created. (Having a look into
that file it seems to be ok for a user usually not reading these files.)
> You shouldnt print "completed" if there are steps missing: the creation the the PNG failed
because of missing DOT-application!

> When seeing the main window you dont know when the creation will be done (it's directly
done after selecting the buildfile).