ant-user mailing list archives

From Hans Schwaebli <hans_schwae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: AW: Tool for documenting Ant scripts
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:26:55 GMT
Hi, thanks.

  I was looking more for a tool which documents the relationships of script files and not
the sequences of targets within one script. I mean something similiar to a class diagram instead
of an sequence diagram for Ant scripts.

Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
  My first few cents:
- seems to be good

- doesnt handle
http://www.nurflugel.com/webstart/AntScriptVisualizer/help/html/html/what_exactly_is_ant_script_vis.html

- good idea of handling multiple buildfiles

- can it deal with dynamic imports?

- dealing with dynamic macros?

- Some words why no updates are needed: WebStart will check on each start.
http://www.nurflugel.com/webstart/AntScriptVisualizer/help/html/html/updates.html

- When reading the infos on the homepage, I havent found any license

Ok ... next step. I try starting that
http://www.nurflugel.com/webstart/AntScriptVisualizer/antscriptVisualizer.jnlp

- Warning of not signed application
- Good: whats new information
-- i am missing a window title
-- reverse order would be better (newest on top)
-- close botton should be outside the textarea so you dont have to scroll for clicking
- Options dialog is missing a title
-- PDF on OsX only?

- I try check.xml from Ant's codebase.
- Default settings: include imported, group nodes, concentrate lines, delete .dot, show macros,
show
taskdefs, show ant+antcall, show targets, png,

- Result: just a note on the buttom: "Operations completed. Check your directory for graphic
files."
What is my directory? I'll have a look at check.xml's directory. Ok - a "hidden" file (as
*.dot are
associated with MSWord templates ;) - check.dot. But no PNG.

- "Find Dot" Button. Another frame without title. The path shown is too long for the small
text field.
The text field could have the width of the frame. Cancel.

- Error message: Cant run without Graphiz ...
Ok. When do you try to run this application? Why the ScriptDependency Visualizer quits after
that message?

Restart ...

- "Help" seems to print parts of the homepage as JavaDoc. Just "Help" as title is not good
IMO. You should always include
the application name.

Ok, I had "problems" with DOT before. I'll retry the application for further information,
because there is no "requirements" section in the help.

Another time: "Operations completed" but only the .dot was created. (Having a look into that
file it seems to be ok for a user usually not reading these files.)
You shouldnt print "completed" if there are steps missing: the creation the the PNG failed
because of missing DOT-application!

When seeing the main window you dont know when the creation will be done (it's directly done
after selecting the buildfile).

There are some options deactivated
- Filter from node ...
- Filter through node ...
- Node ordering (Right-to-left + Left+to-right)

Jan