ant-user mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Mitchell <geoff_mitch...@homedecorators.com>
Subject Re: Alternative to subant
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:05:04 GMT
Sadly, the only solution I could find was to use the java task to invoke
ant in a new JVM for each sub-project (with ant-contrib for task to loop
through directories).  I use one shared build file for all projects.  I
know this is not the "ant way", but it makes a lot more sense to me than
copying my build file a dozen places, or even having a dozen stub files
that inherit from the same file.  So, I really wish that the ant/subant
tasks did not have this bogus cyclical call checking.  At least check if
the basedir is the same!

Francisco Tolmasky wrote:

> My project currently uses a common build file to build a number of
> sub- projects
> (each of which may also have a sub-project as well).  My first
> inclination was thus
> to use the subant task to build all these subprojects, as so (almost
> straight out of
> and subtask documentation):
>
>     <macrodef name = "iterate">
>
>         <attribute name = "target"/>
>
>         <sequential>
>             <subant inheritall="false" inheritrefs="false" target =
> "@{target}" genericantfile = "build.xml">
>                 <dirset dir = "." includes = "*.subproj"/>
>             </subant>
>         </sequential>
>
>     </macrodef>
>
>     <target name = "Build-Project">
>
>     <!-- Do Stuff -->
>
>     <iterate target = "Build-Project" />
> </target>
>
> However, this fails with "subant task calling its own parent
> target."   This shouldn't be happening
> because I am calling the target on a different directory.  I snooped
> around the web and enough
> people have run into this for me to consider it a bug and thus a lost
> cause.  My question instead
> is how to alternatively achieve this same effect.  I tried using
> <apply executable = "ant"> to
> achieve something similar to this, but with little luck.  Any
> thoughts  or suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Francisco Tolmasky

Geoffrey Mitchell