ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: target progress bar
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 10:26:48 GMT
Jo Support wrote:
> Thank you very much for all the suggestions (Hudson and Ant Explorer),
> but both don't fit with my need. I only need to substitute standard
> output with a progress bar, without installing any graphical product
> but a task def for ant.
>
> I've tried to develop a progress bar by myself, but I have some
> concurrency trouble on the standard output with ant: it seems that
> actually ant locks up the console output, so I can't print the
> progress until the end of the target (quite unuseful...).

more accurately, ant grabs the existing console and buffers every line
of output by individual threads, then prints them on line endings. This
lets different programs running under <parallel> present input that
appears line-by-line with the specific program name prefixed. Many
people find this useful.

> I hoped there where third party libs to use, but if there aren't, I'll
> move on the developer mailing list in order to solve my self-made
> progress bar problems.

You can, but I dont know how much more help we can provide there. You
will get more advice on how to implement one though. One problem with a
progress bar is estimating time remaining; a build does not know how
much work is left or how long it will take, so its hard to present.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/