ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: deploy task to Tomcat partially works
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2007 12:01:10 GMT
Rob Wilson wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, as it turns out I should have mentioned that I
> am running Vista - it turned out to be permission problems in the webapps
> directory (doh!), one for the book?! ;-)

checking perms is a nightmare in java, and windows ACLs are a mystery to
most people, and a PITA to actually code for in Win32 code.

> Incidentally, tell me more about your book - I often find that this Ant 'the
> definitive guide' doesn't go in to enough information.

"Ant in Action" is the most up to date and thorough book on developing
and testing in ant. It was written against Ant1.7 and looks at the
problems of
   -scaling up big projects
   -deployment
   -post-deployment testing
   -EJB

It isnt an attempt to replicate what is in the online docs, the
reference pages, because that would be a waste of paper, money and time.
  Instead it is more about how to build, test, deploy and test again,
big server-side applications under Ant. We also view is as the
documentation of my work project's build process, although some of the
stuff we do there (building RPM files and testing them over SSH) is
probably too

see more at http://antbook.org/

-steve