ant-user mailing list archives

From "Rebhan, Gilbert" <Gilbert.Reb...@huk-coburg.de>
Subject RE: target progress bar
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 11:01:18 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Loughran [mailto:stevel@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 11:27 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: target progress bar

/*
Jo Support wrote:
> I've tried to develop a progress bar by myself, but I have some
> concurrency trouble on the standard output with ant: it seems that
> actually ant locks up the console output, so I can't print the
> progress until the end of the target (quite unuseful...).

more accurately, ant grabs the existing console and buffers every line
of output by individual threads, then prints them on line endings. This
lets different programs running under <parallel> present input that
appears line-by-line with the specific program name prefixed. Many
people find this useful.
*/

maybe use the <record> task and then some kind of tail
on the logfile written by <record> ?!

if not on linux/unix you could implement your own tail
with ruby, java ...

/*
One problem with a  progress bar is estimating time remaining;
a build does not know how  much work is left or how long it will take,
so its hard to present.
*/

if not impossible at all

Regards, Gilbert