ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Alternative to subant
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2007 20:42:39 GMT
On Nov 29, 2007 10:05 AM, Geoffrey Mitchell
<geoff_mitchell@homedecorators.com> wrote:
> Sadly, the only solution I could find was to use the java task to invoke
> ant in a new JVM for each sub-project (with ant-contrib for task to loop
> through directories).  I use one shared build file for all projects.  I
> know this is not the "ant way", but it makes a lot more sense to me than
> copying my build file a dozen places, or even having a dozen stub files
> that inherit from the same file.

This use case was why genericantfile was added in fact (which is a use
case I never anticipated much less used).

Having done build system using Makefiles before, I guess I don't mind
putting little "stub" build files everywhere that just import another
;-)

> So, I really wish that the ant/subant
> tasks did not have this bogus cyclical call checking.  At least check if
> the basedir is the same!

<subant> just like <ant> allow to change the basedir, so it can be
dangerous I guess.

I haven't looked too closely at this, but if you could distill the
issue down to minimal scripts demontrating the issue and open a
BugZilla report if you are sure the cycle error is wrong, that would
go a long way toward a future resolution. Thanks, --DD