ant-user mailing list archives

From Joe Schmetzer <...@exubero.com>
Subject Re: Handling multiple subproject in J2EE app
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2007 05:27:06 GMT
Hi Dimitris,

If you're still having troubles with the technique at
http://www.exubero.com/ant/dependencies.html , I would recommend that
you download the example scripts mentioned at the bottom of the email
(http://www.exubero.com/ant/example.tar.gz ). Hopefully, using that as a
base, you can extend it to your situation.

I tend to use that technique for splitting a monolithic project into
smaller, more manageable components. It's relatively simple, and doesn't
rely on any other software, just purely Ant.

You mentioned in another post that you managed to put Ant into an
infinite loop using this technique, which sounds strange. Perhaps you
have some sort of cyclical dependency? It's hard to say without looking
at your scripts what actually happened.

For larger build systems, I would definitely recommend looking at one of
the repository solutions: Ivy or Maven2. This sort of configuration
elegantly breaks the back of complex dependency management. To a degree,
it can even handle cyclical dependencies (though of course, you should
avoid that at all costs, anyway).

I've heard a lot of good reports about Ivy, but I haven't used it
myself. Other people on this list are better suited to sing praises in
that direction.

In my current company, we have settled on using Ant scripts and a Maven2
repository with the Ant Tasks for Maven
(http://maven.apache.org/ant-tasks.html ). This enabled us to move to a
repository solution that could be shared by both Ant and Maven. We have
a number of other projects that use Maven, and this seemed the best of
both worlds. Just to be clear: I really like the Maven repository, but I
don't really care much for Maven itself, as I discuss at
http://www.exubero.com/blog/20070313_Why_I_Prefer_Ant_Over_Maven.html

Cheers,
Joe