ant-user mailing list archives

From "David Weintraub" <qazw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Build on remote machine.
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:09:38 GMT
We currently use CruiseControl, but I recently downloaded Hudson and I
am considering replacing CruiseControl with Hudson.

Hudson's configuration is probably not as flexible, but it is a heck
of a lot easier to figure out. This means that when I am not here and
something goes terribly wrong, someone else *might* be able to figure
it out.

Hudson seems more dependable too, but that may very well be based upon
the machine I'm using. I like the display a lot better, and I think it
is easier for developers to find pertinent information.

Download it and try it out. It's pretty simple, you download the
"hudson.war", then launch it as:

$ java -jar hudson.war

Hudson will be on port 8080. If you need a different port, add a
"--httpPort=$HTTP_PORT" option to the command line.

It took me about 10 minutes to set up a new build system using Hudson.
Needless to say, I'm impressed.

On 10/26/07, david <david@davidwbrown.name> wrote:
> Hello Steve and ant folks, I have read and have completely improved my development with
the JDA book but now I'm in the position such that I need more tools. Please reply if the
continual build tools listed are in order of preference and why. I am currently (trying...)
to use CC. What I completed with my projects building under CC/Ant shows that CC is a great
tool but the config has gotten out-of-hand. And, therefore, I am looking elsewhere. Please
advise, David.

> Steve Loughran wrote ..
> > Yona Eilat wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi,
> > >

> > > I would like to write ant file that will run Build on NT remote machine.
> > >
> > > I have doubts regarding the way to implement it.
> > >
> > > I would like enabling the option to run it from any local PC (of my team
> > > members) or to run it from the remote machine in itself.
> > >
> > > The build should to execute commands from the remote during the process.
> > >
> > > I'll be happy to get an ideas or recommendation about the way to
> > > implement it.
> > >
> > > I thought to map drive (as part of the build) to the remote machine and
> > > run it from there.
> > >
> > > The problem is that once I'll run it from the remote machine, there
> > > isn't required to map external drive for that machine...
> > >
> > > If I run the build from my PC, does it use my resources or the remote
> > > resources?
> >
> > your resources. you have only mapped the drive, not logged in. Note also
> > if your clock is different from other people's clocks, the depencencies
> > get screwed up.
> >

> > > Moreover, how can I write code to enable for only 1 user to run build
> > > for specific version?
> > >

> > dont try and set up ant to do this. It can be done, but it is pretty
> > painful.
> >
> > Set up one of the continuation tools to do the build on the remote box
> >
> > Free
> >    -cruisecontrol
> >    -hudson
> >    -luntbuild