ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Creating Patch builds
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:11:36 GMT
Rishi Gogia wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using SVN as a repository and Weblogic Integration as my application server. I have
more than 10 programmers working on the same project. I wanted to know if I want to do a patch
build, how would I be able to do it?

> By Patch build I mean compiling only those files which are changed. I was able to get
the files from the revision. But since the complete build takes more than 20 minutes, I need
to build only the changed files and put them in their corresponding location in the ear.

> The files which are changed can be java files as well as WSDL, Processes etc. these need
to be compiled and the class file needs to be put in the ear.

> Please suggest me a way how to do this.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Regards
> Rishi

This is normally called an incremental build. By default, Ant builds
incrementally, if all the existing .class files are there.

Where you may have problems is that WSDL to Java may create new files
with new timestamps, that exactly match the previous source -your app
server's wsdl2java tool probably isnt dependency aware. If this is the case

1. generate the wsdl2java output in one directory (say, build/wsdl/src )

2. use a <copy> with the <different> selector.

<copy todir="build/wsdl/src2" preservelastmodified="true">
  <fileset dir="build/wsdl/src" includes="**/*>
   <different targetdir="build/wsdl/src2"
         ignoreFileTimes="false"/>
  </fileset>
</copy>

3. compile the copied source

This ensures that only generated java source files that are different
from the previous set are copied, and hence compiled.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/