ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Build on remote machine.
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:43:04 GMT
david wrote:
> If you want an ant only solution you will have to build locally and deploy remotely:
>
> I am currently building locally and deploying remotely using <scp> and doing post
deployment using <sshexec>. You will have to look up both ant optional tasks for their
argument lists. Minimally you will need to set the <scp> task's attribute sftp="true"

This works for deployment, but not remote building. I do that kind of
thing to push out RPM files to vmware-hosted linux distros and test
their installation; works very nicely.

For remote building you need one of

-a server that supports telnet or ssh
-clients to connect
-team cooperation to not run ant at the same time

or

-a web based gui from a CI tool

or

-some other tool that can remotely run Ant, marshall errors back across
the wire, deal with security, etc.

Again, I would point people back at the CI tool. That said, we often SSH
in to our Cruisecontrol host to run stuff by hand, just to see in more
detail why things fail.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/