ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SSH Authentication Errors
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 09:22:14 GMT
Michael Giroux wrote:
> Thought you might like to know -- the problem turns out to be user
> error.  I was watching the developer use the script, and I assumed
> that when he entered the password for the target useid, that he had
> configured the script to use the userid associated w/ the password.
> As it turns out, he was taking the default which in this script is
> ${user.name} for which he does not have an account on the remote
> system.
>
> After he configured the correct userid for the ssh commands all worked well.
>
> One more thing I'll have to add to the documentation for this script.
>
> Michael

One of the aspects of <ssh> and <scp> is that they dont print out enough
useful info on failure. That is partly for security reasons -you dont
want your entire organisation to be able to read the password in the
cruise control logs. At the same time, we could do a lot to improve the
diagnostics that are there right now, if someone was to sit down and
write the code and the error messages (oh, and the tests )

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/