ant-user mailing list archives

From "Madunic, Marijan \(RBI-US\)" <marijan.madu...@reedbusiness.com>
Subject RE: newbie help: conditional exec
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:06:02 GMT
Thanks all for your suggestions and insightful replies. Since time at
work is not on my side I'll go with the antContrib and then rewrite
everything with the method that Bruce mentioned on the weekend. I think
it will take me a bit to get used the Way of Ant (tm).

Marijan (Mario) Madunic

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Atherton [mailto:bruce@callenish.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:23 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: newbie help: conditional exec

Better to adopt the Way of Ant (tm) rather than fighting against it.
Think of your problem this way, and restructure your build file to
match:

What you want to do is to put your article information into your
database if there are any articles available.
Before you can do that, you need to make sure there is a separate
articles file for any articles present in the raw XML.
Before you can do that, you need to make sure your raw XML files are
filtered to remove junk.
Before you can do that, you need to make sure your raw XML files are
uncompressed.

So what you really want is something like (adjust to fit your real
problem):

<project default="upload-to-db" >

  <target name="upload-to-db" depends="generate-article-file"
if="article-file-present">
  </target>

  <target name="generate-article-file" depends="filter-junk">
    <available property="article-file-present" />
  </target>

  <target name="filter-junk" depends="uncompress-raw-xml">
  </target>

  <target name="uncompress-raw-xml">
    <unzip />
  </target>
</project>

This may seem counterintuitive since the property appears to be declared

after the "upload-to-db" target's "depends" attribute is analyzed, but
in fact nothing is determined about whether the "upload-to-db" target
will execute until all of its dependencies have been executed.

Mario Madunic wrote:
> Sorry I didn't give enough info.
>
> Since I'm a relative newbie to ant I create a pipeline task not
relying on any
> other target. So in the example below my workflow looks like the
following:

> unzip archive of xml files
> filter xml files
> parse xml files (will create CSV\csvArt.xml if there are any
type="articles")
> <exec> bcp csv to SQLServer
>
> So what I wanted to insert in my flow was
> <available file="CSV\csvArt.xml" property="artAvailable" />
> after the parse xml files
> then test the value of artAvailable and if true <exec> bcp into
SQLServer