ant-user mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: AW: What should be downloaded
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:54:37 GMT
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
> Is that ok?
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/ant/core/trunk/docs/manual/install.html?view=diff&r1=577182&r2=577183&pathrev=577183

Wow, quick work. Thanks, Jan, that looks great. I have a few minor edits
and wanted to get the subdirectory info in there, but I'm having
Subversion issues today so I'll have to check in the changes later.

>> and not all Ant users are
>> programmers. Thanks.
>>

> ??? really? What are the other scenarios (for non-developers)?

Well, I can think of several groups that I've seen running it. One is
sysadmins that use Ant for various deployment and system maintenance
tasks. They may even be responsible for keeping a build machine running
for developers. They are technical, yes, but not necessarily programmers.

Another group is QA testers who may use Ant to automate testing,
particularly with tools like Canoo WebTest[1] or with a custom built system.

Yet another is anyone installing an application that requires the
running of Ant to perform or complete the installation. Any application
distributed using Ant Installer[2] or Antigen[3] would fit into this
category, to name just two.

Then there are all the document handling solutions such as the one Mark
mentioned in his email. Ant is ideal for hiding multiple XSLT transforms
and just "building" output documents from input XML. XML Publication[4]
is another example of this.

Those are just a few examples that spring to mind. I'm sure there are
many others.

[1] http://webtest.canoo.com/webtest/manual/WebTestHome.html
[2] http://antinstaller.sourceforge.net/
[3] http://antigen.sourceforge.net/