ant-user mailing list archives

From "David Weintraub" <qazw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting around Set Property Values
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:33:26 GMT
Apparently, there are two methods:

1). Add the parameter name to my property name. Like this:

<property name="@{module}-destdir" value="..."/>

<javac srcdir="..."
   destdir=${@{module}-destdir}"/>

2). Use the Ant Contrib variables:

<var name="v.destdir" value="..."/>
<javac srcdir="..."
   destdir="${v.destdir}"/>

2a). Use the Ant Contrib var package, but to only reset the property:

<var name="destdir" unset="true">
<property name="destdir" value="..."/>

<javac srcdir="..."
    destdir=${destdir}/>

Although it would get me out of using the AntContrib library, I
decided against prepending the module name parameter in front of my
property name. I already have enough issues trying to track my curly
braces, and I'm not too sure how easy it would be for someone to
figure out what I am doing, so I decided to go ahead with method 2.

2a. was something I was thinking of, but if I am going to be using the
<var> task, I might as well simply set the property using <var>. To
show a difference between variables and regular properties, I'm
prepending my variables with a "v." This way, I know that normal
properties don't change, but that vars (which begin with a "v." may
change in value.

There were several things that made me decide to use the AntContrib
task. Most people here are on very old versions of Ant (one guy has
Ant 6.0 Alpha), so they'll have to reinstall Ant anyway. So, I created
an install package of Ant 1.7 with the AntContrib tasks already built
in. Since I was teetering on edge of using the AntContrib package (the
<if> and <outofdate> tasks looked very helpful), this issue made me
decide to go ahead and require it.

Thanks for your help.