ant-user mailing list archives

From "David Weintraub" <>
Subject Re: Testing a file if it is binary or not.
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 00:02:46 GMT
I certainly wouldn't do this in Ant!

I would use a Perl script to read the first 8000 or so bytes of a file
and look for characters outside of what you'd expect to be ASCII

Probably do a "cvs import" first, then go back through and see if
there are any files that were added that were binary. If there are,
you'd to a "cvs admin" and turn on the -kb flag.

On 8/20/07, Ditrick, Gregory <> wrote:
> This may not be for this forum, but I'm moving a PVCS repository to a
> CVS repository.  I'm using ant to do this with cvs and pvcs tasks.  I
> have to test a if a file is binary or not before adding it to CVS, but I
> have to do this on a Windows box.  It is easy on Unix (file <filename> |
> grep...) or using <ac:if><scriptcondition> or <ac:shellscript>.  Does
> anyone have any ideas other than using the files extension as a guide
> and praying that you have them correct and don't miss any?  Yuck!
> CVS requires you to designate the file type as binary fro binary files
> when adding the file.  Other SCM usually handle this internally.
> I really hate PVCS and CVS.  I wish they would be switching SVN or
> Perforce.  I prefer Perforce over all SCMs.  I tried my best to convince
> the company I'm contracting at to switch to Perforce, but too much of an
> up hill battle.
> Thanks in advance,
> GregD
> 6-8309