ant-user mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: javac/javadoc with a common fileset for source files
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2007 22:12:24 GMT
It is difficult to tell what you are trying to accomplish here. Are you
trying to switch only directories, or do you also want file-level filtering?

For directories, there is a slight impedance mismatch you need to deal
with between the javac and the javadoc tasks. You can reuse sets of
directories in javac by using the <src> nested element. But these take
paths, not dirsets. The javadoc task, though, uses a nested packageset
that requires a dirset. So the way to get reuse is to define a dirset,
and then define a path that contains that dirset. Like this:

    <dirset dir="${top.dir} id="src.dirs">
      <include name="src/**" />
    </dirset>

    <path id="path.src.dirs">
      <dirset refid="src.dirs">
    </path>

This example has a slight bug, in that the dirset will contain all
directories in the tree. The javadoc task needs all the directories
which contain Java code, while javac needs only the top ones and will
recurse through the tree by default. This doesn't cause a problem for
javac, as it will know a directory is already specified and will ignore
it. It does cause a problem with the count of files to be compiled, though.

For filtering individual files in the two tasks rather than just
changing directories, the javac task is itself a fileset meaning that
you can specify a selector or patternset as a nested element. These can
be referenced from patternsets or selectors that are defined elsewhere,
and can be reused by specifying them in the fileset nested element of
the the javadoc task.

Note that a common mistake is to think that javac will only compile the
files you specify. The javac program does its own dependency checking,
so you may end up getting more files compiled than you expected. Even if
you exclude a java file with a selector or patternset, it could still
end up getting compiled if the javac compiler decides it is necessary.