ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <>
Subject Re: Child processes are randomly killed (occurred with <sql> and <junit>)
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2007 10:06:49 GMT
Alexis de Bernis wrote:
> Hello,
> We encountered the following troubling error when dealing with long ant
> tasks. When the server is heavily loaded, ANT tasks may randomly abort
> before their natural end. Adding the verbose flag only shows the
> "[DEBUG] Process finished" log without any exception.
> This was first occurring on the <sql> tasks with long running queries
> (about 2 hours to complete), but we recently had the same problem
> running a long <junit> test suite.
> We are using Ant 1.7.0, triggered by the Quickbuild
> ( build server.
> Running these tasks when the server is lightly loaded succeeds every
> time. We suspect some sort of OOM errors, but having absolutely no error
> report nor an exception stack trace is troublesome.
> Could you please help me in analyzing this problem so I can determine if
> the process gets killed because of Ant ?

Ant doesnt kill processes unless you set a timeout on exec or junit, and
tell junit to fork.

If you run junit with fork=false (the default) is is running in VM/

Now, <sql> is different as it is not a process, it is a JDBC operation.
So there is no process there to halt, though that may depend on your

 >Adding the verbose flag only shows the
 > "[DEBUG] Process finished" log without any exception.

Try running ant in -debug instead of -verbose, you get a lot more
information, most of which is unimportant. But as Jan said, this sounds
more like timeouts in your build server -there may be some options there
to fix things

(as an aside, what are you doing with a 2hour SQL query in a build? Is
it to set up the DB, or to test it?)

Steve Loughran
Author: Ant in Action

To unsubscribe, e-mail: