ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem with build after method signature change
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2007 18:56:16 GMT
On 8/2/07, billf5293 <bfindeisen@hmstn.com> wrote:

> We are experiencing a problem with our build after a method signature change
> in one of our classes.  A method was changed from non-static to static.
> Since the dependant class files would still compile ant did not compile
> them.  The result is a IncompatibleClassChangeError at runtime saying a
> non-static method is expected.
>
> Is there any way to check class compatibility?

It's generally regarded as unnecessary, since Java compiles fast
enough that doing a full rebuild is much simpler and safer than trying
to do an intelligent incremental build.

There are IDEs and also JavaMake that do such incremental builds, and
I played with JavaMake in the past, but the added complexity is not
worth it IMHO. It all depends on the project size. --DD