ant-user mailing list archives

From "Peter Reilly" <>
Subject Re: Execution of windows command in ant's build.xml
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:55:26 GMT
Do not forget that ant in written in java and
the exec argument uses Process - the Process
code is given the command line as a string, and adds
(in c)  in it's own quoting characters.

Always one should play around with simple ant scripts
to try to see what will work for the <exec> call.
Remember that a lot of directories have spaces in windows
and this, combined with the multiple layers of quoting and
(ant, Java, cmd and the other commands)
mean that things may not work as expected.

On 7/18/07, Alec Fernandez <> wrote:
> Howdy folks,
> This from the exec doc:
> <!-- not tested -->
> <target name="help">
>   <exec executable="cmd">
>     <arg value="/c"/>
>     <arg value="&quot;dir;cls;set;cls;"/>
>   </exec>
> </target>
> I would recommend that you read the dos "man" pages on cmd start and call, they are quite
useful.  Pay close attention to the /c /k and /s options if you are passing multiple commands
and quotes are necessary.