ant-user mailing list archives

From Wayne Cannon <wcan...@turinnetworks.com>
Subject Re: Need to convert windows batch script (build script) to ant's build.xml
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:06:41 GMT
Up front, let me say that I am relatively new to using Ant.

Ant's declarative approach is significantly different than the
sequential/procedural approach of script files and most other
languages.  I like to think of it as "goal"-oriented as opposed to
"process" oriented, if that helps.  I respectfully suggest that you will
be most effective simply examining the script for "goals" that it
accomplishes, and then creating Ant tasks to accomplish the same goals.

I've played with the demo of a product called Virtual Ant that may be
helpful making a more direct conversion.  Basically, Virtual Ant gives
you a user interface similar to Windows Explorer.  You perform your
script's operations (copy, compile, jar, etc.) using their "virtual"
interface, and it creates an Ant build.xml that corresponds with the
operations you performed.  I'm sure it will be sub-optimal, but should
at least get you started.

--Wayne