ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Installing Ant is non-standard and stupid
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:18:14 GMT
evilfred wrote:
> This is a rant.
>
> Why does Ant (at least the source distro) not install like *every other
> sane
> source distro on earth*, with "configure / make / make install". This is
> what users expect and enter by default. I'd rather not mess around
> having to
> read proprietary installation info (or in my case, guessing which script to
> run because there is no info on the website).

As Matt said, it is because we are portable, and because build tools
have to bootstrap themselves up. Hence a script called bootstrap.  How
does autoconf build itself?

What could be improved is how RPMs and debs build from source, because
those packages are provided by third parties (jpackage and debian) and
we havent focused that much on adding from-source builds. Its actually
kind of complicated there because the dependencies are cyclic: a full
ant build needs lots of JARs that build with ant.

If you want to help us and the JPackage and debian teams produce better
linux source artifacts, your contributions (spec files,  deb equivalents
and testing) would be much appreciated.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/