ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: best practices - building on multiple os's
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:32:02 GMT
Loehr, Ruel wrote:
> Hoping some others might have some insight, I've googled around for 2
> days but haven't yet found an answer that seems right.
>

> I have a project which is c++ based and have created an ant wrapper
> around it to checkout, build, build an installer, and publish the
> project.  This part works pretty well.
>
> The only problem is that it takes 4 hours to build.   2 hours on
> solaris, and 2 hours on windows.

aah, I forgot about windows

> The ant build structure is sort of like this:
>

> 1)       call sshexec and run solaris build
>
> 2)       then proceed on to building windows.
>

> I'd like to get the solaris and windows portion of the builds to run in
> parallel but have not yet found a good way to do it.   The sshexec task
> blocks until the solaris portion is done.

1. you could run the solaris build in the background, sshexec the
equivalent command as

nohup ant -f project/build.xml release &

you then need to synchronise for the results -setting a file in a shared
directory, anything we can use <waitfor> to poll for.

2. I have heard -but no experience of- anthill pro, which can apparently
do some parallel build-farm work.

similarly, you can set up luntbuild, bamboo or other CI tools to do a
scheduled build, so it could do a nightly release, or so

3. the third option is pretty low level, and is more an extension of
(1); use smartfrog (disclaimer., I work on it), to deploy ant on the
different machines. and choreograph the builds. This is really something
I'd point you at if you are interested in doing cross-platform testing
after the builds, where you want to collect the results on a single
host, or if you were planning on learning smartfrog anyway.

-steve